Saturday, November 25, 2006

Man on 3km walk to pressure newsagent to fight harder against lotto litter

The title of this post might seem a little strange, but the man referred to is in fact me. I was inspired to undertake his direct action by the antics of the person referred to in this news item. An extract from the item follows.

A UNIVERSITY student will walk 1000km from Brisbane to Sydney to try to pressure the Federal Government to fight harder against global warming. Sarah Bishop, 22, will begin her trek on January 27, finishing at Kirribilli House - Prime Minister John Howard's Sydney residence. There she will deliver a petition to be signed during the journey asking for the Government to ratify the Kyoto Protocol on greenhouse gas emissions and invest in switching to clean, renewable energy. "I think it's going to be pretty hard but I'm really, really focused on the outcome of it... and the awareness that I can raise,'' Ms Bishop, from Toowong in Brisbane, said today.

If Sarah's walk of 1000 km can pressure the prime minister into fighting harder against global warming (as Sarah seems to believe) then surely my modest 3km walk can pressure my local newsagent to put out litter bins for discarded lotto tickets and scratchies.

I will issue a press release tomorrow in honour of my LAME (Look At Me Everybody) gesture.