Monday, April 30, 2007

The bestest advice I ever received while in the Australian Army

Since my reunion with some old army comrades back in January of this year, I have been sent some photographs taken some 40 years ago, when we were all officer cadets at RMC Duntroon. This one reminds me of the most useful advice I was ever given in the army. In the picture I am following that advice (so far as the particular circumstances allowed at the time).

The advice:
  • never run when you can walk
  • never walk when you can stand still
  • never stand when you can sit down
  • never sit down when you can lie down
  • never lie down when you can sleep
  • never sleep when you can #@*#

Note that my comrades who are standing had not taken the advice to heart by this stage in our training. (Also note that I did not have an opportunity at the time to go beyond the sitting down option.)